Sunday, December 19, 2010

My Personal Bible

I have heard(or read) a few different people deliver the statement "all scripture is equally inspired, but all scripture is not equally applied." The main idea here is that if it is in the Bible then God had direct oversight in its inclusion, but passages that outline the details of the plunder from one particular battle in one particular war in the Old Testamant, are not as relevant to the lives of most people as say, the passages of Jesus' Sermon on the Mount. I think most people could agree with that.

Well, as I have attempted to give equal time in my study of the bible, I have definitely noticed this to be true. But am also wondering if this can be taken one step further. If you drop in to the mix that God has creates us all uniquely as individuals; different likes, dislikes, talents, and abilities, would it be safe to say that soem passages or genre's of scripture are more relevant or easy to engage in than others?

This also, shouldn't be too hard to agree with. I know plenty of people that receive incredible benefit from spending time reading Psalms. The poetic verses and emotional content give words to many hearts in prayer. I myself have a hard time reading Psalms and feeling s though it provides much connection to God, or relevance in my life. I receive the most benefit from reading Romans and most fo Paul's writings. Yes, it is much more intellectual, and I am more intelectual than emotional. But, I would say that I have many times experienced a strong emotional connection to God through these very intellectual readings.

Which leads me to this idea. Should we as believers gain an understanding of what the breadth of the scriptural content, but mainly for the purpose of understanding which parts are more for "us" (individually) and then spend more time in those places?

Now I would probably assume that this is what most people do inadvertently. But, How many of us feel so guilty continuing to go back to the same sets of scripture? Feeling like 'I really should go back and re-read Leviticus.'

No comments: