Monday, December 20, 2010

Leading by Proxy

In 1 Corinthians 3 & 4, Paul is trying to teach his readers about how to follow spiritual leaders. Mainly that they should take what they say, compare it to scripture and only keep what is in agreement.  All the while being sure not to make too much of the person the teachings come from.

For a ministry leader, or a parent for that matter, this offers a sobering warning.  Don't lead people to yourself, lead them to Christ.  I know, when put like that is seems terribly simple.  But, like many in ministry, we lead others within the context of relationships.  The basic premise here is that I try to connect with others, as friends, drawing them to me., in order to give them a glimpse of who Jesus is.

Now, I don't think that there is anything wrong with this approach, Jesus did it, Paul did it and lays out the plan quite clearly; "Follow my example as I follow Christ." (1 Cor. 11:1).  But Paul's warnings in 1 Corinthians 3 are very real.  We want to lead people to Christ, not just to be followers of ourselves.

So, where is the line? Where is relational ministry pure and honest? Where does it become self-seeking?

No comments: