Saturday, December 02, 2006


Ecclesiastes...HHhhmmmm....

6:1-2 is a very puzzling verse. " I have seen another evil under the sun, and it weighs heavily on men: God gives a man wealth, possessions and honor, so that he lacks nothing his heart desires, but God does not enable him to enjoy them, and a stranger enjoys them instead. This is meaningless, a grievous evil." How is something that God does Evil? Is it that it seems evil? or Is Solomon really talking about what has happened to him and he is just bitter about it? Either way, I see scripture here saying that what God did was evil!! How can this be?

[Pause for further study]

OK, after some look through a few commentaries. One just simply assumes the benevolent character of God. This is great for for character and daily practice, but it does nothing to explain the verse, which is what commentaries are for. Another does give light to the apparent inconsistency in God's character that may be represented here. I obviously don't believe that there is some loophole in God's character. I am wondering about how to read this passage. The more enlightening commentary explains the portion, "but God does not enable him to enjoy them, and a stranger enjoys them instead", as referring to the persons death. For whatever reason a man has been allowed to continue to receive the worldly desires of his heart. But he continues down this path of desire and retrieval until his death. He never stops and enjoys it.

The wording here suggests that it was God who chose for this man to never enjoy what He gave him. When in fact, the wording is just being consistent in representing God's sovereignty. I can now see that The author is highlighting that it is God Who gives and God who takes away. But in this scenario. God gave and gave and gave. Then at a certain time God, as with all mortal beings, brought his life to an end. it was the man's choice to never enjoy what God had given him during his lifetime.

Oh my God and my Savior, please forgive me for the desires in my heart that resemble that of this man in this passage. Many times I continue and continue to seek after desires of my heart, and ignore the opportunity and HUGE blessing that it is 1. just that you gave it to me and 2. the enjoyment and fulfillment that YOU desired for me to have by allowing me to have such a blessing. Please help me to be be aware of your blessings and gifts. You are a generous God and I am so grateful for loving even me...

No comments: