Friday, April 15, 2005

The RIGHT Way?!

I have been reading through the book of John lately. As I read through the gospels I really try to read them not as inspirational or theological, though I know those things happen. I really try to connect with the person of Jesus himself, making him more personal. As I read through this and as I go through some of my seminary classes I have had some thoughts about Christians trying to find the right way to do all of this. (religion, relationship, theology, etc...) I am somewhat disturbed by the general attitude of people to feel the need to find ONE right way.(this is not specifically Christian, but human) As I look at Christ and the way that he seems to interact with people I notice that he does not address what we see on the surface. I know that He was God as well as man and that gave him the ability to see more than every other person. But, even beyond that I see that he almost refuses to address what the population is addressing. I see this attitude of "you just don't get it, and I am not going to go along with what you think you get!" Christ says 'you want to know this, well that's fine, here is the real issue'. People seem to always look for what is right and then once that is figured out then we can move on to try and live out that right way. Christ gives another way. Jesus Loves people first. And gives attention to the fact that no person ever gets it right, and looks to grace. We need to be more aware that life is a process and not a program. Yes, we are human and bound by certain constraints, but I see Christ addressing that as well. Somewhere between Matthew 5:17 and 1 Corinthians 10:23 I see Christ saying, "you can have your systems and religions and programs and processes, I don't see anything inherently wrong there, they can help you because of your physical and temporal limitations as humans, but there is no right way" rather as James says, religion that is acceptable to God is caring for the weak and the poor. But, let me say that I am making a distinction between basic gospel truth and our expression of that gospel truth. There is no right expression over any other expression that is in line with the essential gospel. That leaves to be answered, "what is the essential Gospel?"

Lord Jesus, be gracious with me as I assume to put words in your mouth, let your Holy Spirit accompany my words.......

No comments: